• All foreigners, regardless their nationality, are required to present a valid and not expired passport or travel document when entering Mexico (traveling by air, land or sea).
• The Mexican government only requires that your passport must be valid during the entirety of your trip. Please contact the airline(s) you will be flying on to ensure that they let you board the plane as the United States does have a six months validity rule for passports that may apply.
• If you are a Permanent Resident of the following countries: Canada, the United States, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, any of the countries of the Schengen Area, and any of the countries members of the “Pacific Alliance”, you do not need a visa to enter Mexico for tourism, business or transit purposes. All individuals in this category are required to present their valid and unexpired Resident Card along with their passports. Both documents must be valid during your entire stay in Mexico. US travel document holders must present a US valid Permanent Resident when entering Mexico if they are nationals of the countries listed in the following link: http://www.inm.gob.mx/gobmx/word/index.php/paises-requieren-visa-para-mexico/
Countries that DO NOT REQUIRE a visa to travel to Mexico
• If you have a valid and unexpired visa of the following countries: Canada, the United States, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and any of the countries of the Schengen Area, you do not need a visa to enter Mexico for tourism, business or transit purposes. All individuals in this category are required to present their valid and unexpired visa along with their passports. Both documents must be valid during your entire stay in Mexico.
• If the US visa stamped in your passport is expired but you have an official document or form proving your legal status in USA, you must apply for a Mexican visa at this Consulate. All EAD cards, I-797A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20 OR DS-2019 are not accepted to enter Mexico.
• A foreigner of any country traveling to Mexico on leisure trips visiting Mexican maritime ports by cruise, are not required to obtain a visa or consular stamp. The passenger must carry a valid and not expired passport or travel document.
If granted a Mexican visa, you will be able to travel to Mexico but it does not guarantee entry into the country. Click here for more information.
• ALL VISAS FEES WILL BE PAID WHILE APPLYING, REGARDLESS OF THE RESULT OF THE INTERVIEW.
• APPOINTMENT IS REQUIRED.
• EVERYONE WHO REQUIRES A VISA, REGARDLESS OF AGE, NEEDS TO APPLY FOR IT IN PERSON.
• VISA PROCESSING TIME IS FIVE BUSINESS DAYS.
• DO NOT BUY YOUR TICKET BEFORE YOU GET A VISA.
• IF THE APPLICATION DOES NOT COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS, WE WILL BE UNABLE TO PROCESS IT.
• THE ISSUANCE OF THE VISA IS SUBJECT TO THE CONSULAR INTERVIEW.
Please note that the requirements presented in this section apply to the Consulate General of Mexico in Chicago only.
These requirements are subject to change without warning.
Push the button related to your activity in Mexico to view your visa requirements: