Import household goods

Household goods are defined as used items that are exclusively for personal or family use. This includes clothes, bedding, books, works of art and scientific materials, as long as they are not collections for exhibitions or art galleries.

In order to apply, the following are required:

  • Valid Temporary or Permanent card and four copies;
  • Valid U.S. Passport, and four copies of the page with your personal data, picture and signature;
  • A typed letter addressed to the Consulate General of Mexico providing your present address in the U.S. and the address of your residence in Mexico; you must state that you intend to return your household goods upon expiration of your Temporary or Permanent card.
  • All household goods must be inventoried. The list must be in Spanish, typed in single space on white paper, at the top left corner you must write your current address, and at the right your address in México;
  • Each item must be numbered progressively and on a separate line, beginning with the electrical appliances, specifying make, model and serial number (including kitchen appliances); 


1. Un televisor SONY Trinitron abc-123
2. Un comedor - - -
  • Small articles packed in boxes or crates must be described and numbered in the list as one box (crate) containing clothing, kitchen utensils, etc.
  • Payment of the consular fee ($127.00 dollars) in cash or credit/debit card. Personal checks are not accepted.
  • The document will be ready in one business day
  • Please note that you will have to contact, in advance, a customs broker, who will do the proceeding for you. The Mexican customs officers will make the final decision regarding this issue.
  • You may import your household effects only once.
  • No vehicle can be included as household goods.


The importation of your household goods is temporary and only for the period that your immigration permit remains valid.

 For more information, please call:

Tel. (915)533-3644 / 533-3645 ext. 241