Travel of minors (Since December 09, 2013)

On December 2, 2013, a Decree was published reforming the provisions of the Migratory Law’s Regulations on travel by minors under the age of 18. The Decree will take effect 30 days following its publication.

  • Foreign minors (under 18 years of age) travelling to Mexico alone or with a third party of legal age (grandparent, aunt/uncle, etc.) as visitors (tourists or with a short stay for study purposes up to 180 days), DO NOT REQUIRE authorization or a letter of consent from their parents or guardians. Mexican migratory authorities will allow these minors to leave Mexico at the end of their stay upon presentation of a valid passport.

The Canadian government’s requirements for minors departing or entering Canada can be consulted at the following webpage:

Upon departing Mexico, authorization or a letter of consent from the minor’s parents or guardians will be required in the following cases:

  • Mexicans residing in Mexico;
  • Mexicans residing abroad;
  • Foreigners with dual nationality (one of which is Mexican nationality);
  • Foreigners with temporary, temporary-student or permanent residence in Mexico;

travelling alone or accompanied by a third party of legal age who is not the parent nor has parental authority or guardianship over the minor (grandparent, aunt/uncle, sibling, etc.) must present in addition to a valid passport, a document whereby both parents or guardians or holders of parental authority authorize the minor’s departure from Mexico; this document must be granted before a notary public or issued by an authority empowered to do so. Minors in the above cases who are travelling with one of the parents DO NOT require this additional document.

Mexican migratory authorities are drafting the form and corresponding administrative provisions, so it is recommended that you consult this site frequently to find updated information on this topic as it become available.

Letters of authorization/consent granted in Canada must be legalized by the Mexican Embassy or Consulate in Canada and translated into Spanish. For information on the procedure and requirements for legalizing a document, please visit the following link. Mexican consular offices do not provide translation services.


New visa guidelines (Since November 09, 2012)

Due to the entry into force of new Migration Law Regulations in Mexico, as of November 9, 2012, new guidelines will be applied to the documentation of foreigners entering and leaving Mexico, including visa issuance and travel of minors, among other provisions.

Consequently, several sections of this page will be under modification. If you have any questions please send an email to the following address: Esta dirección de correo electrónico está siendo protegida contra los robots de spam. Necesita tener JavaScript habilitado para poder verlo..

Canadian nationals and permanent residents of Canada still do not require a visa to enter Mexico, with the exception of Canadian citizens carrying diplomatic or official passports.

Canadian nationals must present a valid passport to prove their nationality. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of passports; nevertheless, this document must be valid at the time of entry and during the period you wish to be in Mexico.

Permanent residents of Canada must present their Permanent Resident Card and one of the following documents: valid Passport or Refugee Travel Document.

All foreign visitors, regardless of nationality, travelling to Mexico for tourism or business reasons or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by the government of the United States.


Further information about the process of entering Mexico

If you are granted a Mexican visa you will be able to travel to Mexico. It does not guarantee entry to the country.

At the point of entry, Mexican immigration authorities may ask you some questions to confirm the reasons you are travelling, the length of your stay in Mexico and how you are financing your trip. The following questions are few examples of what you may be asked:

As in all countries, Mexican immigration authorities will verify the authenticity of all the documents you present and the truthfulness of the information you provide. They will also confirm that no outright restriction exists.

The reasons for your trip must match your visa type.

Everyone visiting or living in Mexico has rights which must be respected.

Foreigners have the right to contact their embassy or consulate.

In accordance with article 60 of the Reglamento de la Ley de Migración. Published at the Diario Oficial de la Federación on September 28, 2012. Available, in Spanish, at: