Department of Protection for Mexican Nationals
One of the main priorities of the Consulates of Mexico is to protect and safeguard the rights and well being of the Mexican nationals abroad.
The Department of Protection of the Consulate-General of Mexico in New York carries out this mandate providing assistance to all the Mexican nationals in our jurisdiction of the States of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
Duties and Actions
The Department of Protection of the Consulate General of Mexico in New York, assists and offers guidance and support to Mexican nationals residing in our area in family, civil, criminal and migratory matters.
Among the main duties of the Department of Protection are:
- Repatriation of indigents, patients, minors, and other vulnerable persons
- Shipping of human remains to Mexico
- Protection of minors including those in custody and in adoption process: also in cases of child abduction
- Assistance in obtaining alimony
- Assistance to victims of domestic violence, or any other violent crime or abuse
- Assistance and safeguard of the rights and well being of persons that are ill or disable
- Locating missing persons in the jurisdiction
- Counsel to Mexican nationals facing criminal proceedings or problems
- Counsel to Mexican nationals facing migratory proceedings or problems
- Making sure that due process is respected in all legal matters and proceedings involving Mexican nationals
- To carry out weekly visits to migratory detention centers as well as Municipal, State and Federal correctional centers in the consular jurisdiction in order to find out the physical and legal situation of detained nationals
- Following of the indemnity and matters in surrogate cases involving Mexican nationals
- To support and guide our nationals in matters pertaining to labor and security in the employment laws and regulations
- To assist our nationals in claiming and denouncing violation of the labor and security in the workplace regulations
- To detect and follow up in the possible claims for damages in favor of Mexicans due to work or other accidents or negligence
Free Legal Counsel
Through the Department of Protection, the Consulate General also provides free legal advice with assistance from external attorneys in the fields of immigration, criminal, labor, family and civil law.
- Consultations with attorneys of civil, family, criminal and immigration matters are held from 10 am to 12 pm, according to a monthly calendar (check current dates in calendar); they take place in the 2nd floor of the Consulate, no appointment is necessary.
- The Attorney for Labor Matters is in the Consulate every Tuesday from 10 am to 12 pm.
- Representatives from the US Department of Labor come to the Consulate every other Wednesday (check current dates in calendar) to take claims for unpaid salaries, or for the lack of fair payment, including overtime.
Hours Of Operation
The Department of Protection is open to the public every day, without an appointment, from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, and it is located at the 2nd Floor of the Consulate’s building (located at: 27 E. 39th Street, between Park and Madison).
In order to receive assistance after working hours please call the emergency telephone numbers shown below:
+1 (917) 459-2143
Protection Department Fax Number: (212) 217-6439
Folletos del área de protección: