General Information:


  • Effective March 1st 2010, all visitors traveling to Mexico

either by air, land or sea are required to present a valid (non-expired) Passport or Travel Document from their country to enter Mexico.

  •  With the purpose of facilitating and promoting travel to Mexico,

effective May 2016 all those foreign nationals, regardless of their nationality, visiting Mexico for tourism, business or transit are NOT required to obtain a Mexican visa IF they hold a valid (non-expired) Visa or Permanent Residence of any of this countries: United States of America, Canada, Japan, United Kingdom or Schengen area (European Union).


  • US Residents: If your United States visa stamped on your passport already expired but you have an official document proving your legal status in USA, you must apply for a Mexican visa (I-797 A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20 OR DS-2019 Forms won’t be accepted to entering Mexico), unless you have a valid Visa for any of the countries listed above (Canada, Japan, United Kingdom or Schengen area) .


 Minors traveling to Mexico


  • Foreign minors (under 18 years of age) travelling to Mexico alone or with a third party of legal age (grandparent, aunt/uncle, etc.) as visitors (tourists or with a short stay for study purposes up to 180 days), DO NOT REQUIRE authorization or a letter of consent from their parents or guardians. Mexican migratory authorities will allow these minors to leave Mexico at the end of their stay upon presentation of a valid passport.
  • The following categories however, DO REQUIRE proper authorization or a letter of consent from their parents or legal guardians, if they are a minor (under 18 years of age) and are traveling alone or with a third party of legal age (grandparent, aunt/uncle, etc.):
  • Mexican nationals residing in Mexico.
  • Mexican nationals residing abroad.
  • Mexican nationals with double nationality.
  • Foreigners with temporary residence, permanent residence or temporary-student status (more than 180 days) in Mexico.


When departing from Mexico, at the Immigration screening of INAMI (Mexican Migratory Authority), apart from presenting a valid passport of the minor, it must display the authorization form issued by INAMI (a form free of charge), through which both parents or legal guardians give authorization of the departure of the minor from Mexico or you must present an authorization/consent letter granted by a notary public.

If presenting the form authorized by INAMI, you must fill the form online at the following website:

Three copies of this form must be printed and signed and each copy must have attached the following documentation:

  • Copy of the passport or travel document of the minor traveling.
  • Copies of the passports of the parents or legal guardians whom give the permit.
  • Copy of the birth certificate of the minor.
  • Copy of the passport of the third party of legal age that will be travelling with the minor (if applicable).

Minors who are travelling with at least one parent DO NOT require this authorization.

 Futher information about the process of entering Mexico

  • Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of passports; nevertheless, this document must be valid at the time of entry and during the period you wish to be in Mexico.
  • Permanent residents of United States of America must present their Permanent Resident Card and one of the following documents: valid Passport or Refugee Travel Document.

    All foreign visitors, regardless of nationality, travelling to Mexico for tourism or business reasons or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by the government of the United States.
  • At the point of entry, Mexico’s immigration officers (INAMI) are the only authority that can accept or refuse the entry of any traveler into Mexico, regardless of whether the traveler has previously attained a visa or is exempted from obtaining one.

Please be aware of some of the questions you may be asked by viewing the following information: ENTERING MEXICO