Student Visa


If you are going to study in Mexico, you must apply for a Temporary Student Resident Visa.


1. Fill out the Application Download

2. Valid Passport (book passport - original and one copy, you must have copy from the first, last and all pages in which you have visas or stamps).

3. If you are not a United States citizen, you must present a US alien permanent resident card (green card) or a U.S. valid visa multiple entries. (original and one copy).

4. One passport size picture front view white background (recent and without glasses).

5. Letterhead sheet in original from the Educational Institution (letter of acceptance) which must be addressed to the Consulate General of Mexico in San Diego specifying the full name of the person concerned, level, degree and area of study that the applicant intends to carry out, the course name that has been accepted, total cost and period of studies. This letter must be signed by Official Representative and identification data of the educational institution. (Original).

6. Documents proving economic solvency to cover the amount of the tuition and expenses for accommodation and meals during your stay in Mexico:

a) Original and copy of the three lasts bank statements or investments - the complete official statement month by month, with full name and address – NO P.O. Box),  which reflect monthly income a minimum balance of $4000.00 US dollars.

b) Original and copy of documents showing that the applicant has a job, pension or academic grant that yields a monthly income of $400.00 US dollars after taxes during the previous three months.

Economic solvency can be satisfied by the student, his or her parents or whoever has the legal custody over the student, as long as he or she is not older than 25 years of age (in this case you must present a notarized letter that states who will cover your tuition and personal expenses). It can also be proved by original document attesting that the student has received a full scholarship or document issued by a bank or financial institution showing that counts with the appropriate financing.

Note: If the documents are from outside of the United States, you must present the original apostilled or legalized and translated into Spanish by an official translator) original and one copy.

7. Application processing fee $36.00 US dollars. We only accept cash and Money Order. Please note that in case of refusal of visa, the payment is not refundable. We recommend that before submitting your application, you verify your documentation is complete.

Be advised that the time and process to obtain a Mexican visa may vary (one to ten days). The Consulate does not guarantee the issuance of the visa, and its expedition the same day you come. If you are coming to San Diego for the sole purpose of obtaining the Mexican visa, we encourage you to plan a minimum stay of one to three business days.

We recommend that you do not purchase your travel tickets until the proper visa is obtained.

The Mexican visa gives you the possibility of travelling to the country. The entry into Mexican territory depends on Mexican immigration authorities at the port of entry.

Once you have gathered all the required documentation for the visa application process, you must send an email to Esta dirección de correo electrónico está siendo protegida contra los robots de spam. Necesita tener JavaScript habilitado para poder verlo., stating your full birth name, phone number, personal email of the applicant and the type of visa you wish to apply for.  Upon receiving this information, we will review it and assign you an appointment (one per person) at the earliest possible date. Please note that the approximate wait time to receive a reply to your email is one to three business days.

On the day of your scheduled appointment, you will present yourself to the Mexican Consulate with your previously approved documents in original and the correspondent copies of said documents to conclude the application process and subsequent interview to obtain your Mexican Visa. Note, additional paperwork may be asked in certain instances.  

For your convenience, if you do not speak English and/or Spanish you must be accompanied by an interpreter.