Permanent Resident Visa

 (Retired Income Holder “Rentista”)

 If you are retired and you are going to live permanently without any income in Mexico, you must apply for a visa as a “Permanent Resident”.


1. Fill out the Application Download

2. Valid Passport (book passport - original and one copy, you must have copy from the first, last and all pages in which you have visas or stamps).

3. If you are not a United States citizen, you must present a US alien permanent resident card (green card) or a U.S. valid visa multiple entries, (original and one copy).

4. One passport size picture front view white background (recent and without glasses).

5. Original Letter typed addressed to the Consulate General of Mexico specifying the purpose of your entry in Mexico. The letter should include your request to have Permanent Resident Visa, date of travel and port of entry, address in Mexico in US and Mexico. (original)

6. Documents proving your economic solvency. Last six bank statements (the complete official statement month by month, with full name and address – NO P.O. Box), in which reflect direct deposit from SSA monthly income of $2,000.00 per month with a minimum average balance of $2,000.00 us dollars at the end of the month. 

If you have Investments, you can present the last twelve months statements (the complete official statement month by month, with full name and address – NO P.O. Box) of the financial institution, showing $80,000 us dollars as an average balance at the end of the month. Economic Dependent (immediate family members): If the person also applies for the visa, the minimum income required will be the equivalent of 25% additional per month for each member. The income required may consist of rents, pensions or income from interest or cash deposits in banking institutions, which can be proved with bank statements or a letter from a bank or government office from where the applicant receives his income, informing the monthly amount that he receives. 

Note: If the documents are from outside of the United States, you must present the original apostilled or legalized and translated into Spanish by an official translator) original and one copy. 

7. If the case of an economic dependent, the applicant must present the marriage certificate (if marriage took place outside the United States, you must present an original apostilled or legalized and translated into Spanish by an official translator. (original and one copy)

8. Application processing fee $36.00 US dollars. We only accept cash and Money Order. Please note that in case of refusal of visa, the payment is not refundable. We recommend that before submitting your application, you verify your documentation is complete.


Be advised that the time and process to obtain a Mexican visa may vary (one to ten days). The Consulate does not guarantee the issuance of the visa, and its expedition the same day you come. If you are coming to San Diego for the sole purpose of obtaining the Mexican visa, we encourage you to plan a minimum stay of one to three days. 

We recommend that you do not purchase your travel tickets until the proper visa is obtained.

The Mexican visa gives you the possibility of travelling to the country. The entry into Mexican territory depends on Mexican immigration authorities at the port of entry.

Once you have all the required documentation, please, book an appointment at (appointment per person).

The day of your appointment, your documents will be reviewed and in some cases, we may request additional documentation that can vary depending on the applicant’s personal situation. Once the documents are approved, you will be scheduled for the interview and to get your passport stamped with your Mexican visa.

For your convenience, if you do not speak English and/or Spanish you must be accompanied by an interpreter.