Temporary Resident Visa


If you are going to LIVE in México, work in the USA and you will receive your income from the US Company, you must apply for a visa as a “Temporary Resident”.  


1. Fill out the Application Download

2. Passport (book passport) original and one copy from the first, last and all pages in which you have visas or stamps).

3. If you are not a United States citizen, you must present a US alien permanent resident card (green card) or a U.S. valid visa multiple entries (original and one copy).

4. One passport size picture front view white background (recent and without glasses). 

5. Original Letter typed addressed to the Consulate General of Mexico specifying the purpose of your entry in Mexico. The letter should include your request to have Temporary Resident Visa, date of travel and port of entry, address in United State and/or Mexico. (original) 

6. Proof of Employment (US Company):

a) Original letterhead typed sheet from the US company/organization/association which must be addressed to the Consulate General of Mexico in San Diego specifying the following:

-Applicant´s full name and nationality.

-Activity, length of time working there and monthly income perceived by applicant.

-Specify commitment of shared responsibility with the applicant

-Registration number, business activity, physical address and complete name and contact information of the company/organization/association.

b) Copy of valid official ID of the person who signed the invitation letter (with photo, full name and signature).

c) Active Secretary of State Registration (Certificate of Status), printed recently and Current City Business License (copy). 

7. Original and a photocopy of financial records (last six months of bank statements - the complete official statement month by month, with full name and address – NO P.O. Box) which reflect monthly income and salary with minimum balance of $1220.00 us dollars at the end of the month; last six months of pay stubs; you can also submit official documents proving the ownership of a property/company/business and one photocopy. If you have Investments, you can present the last twelve months of financial institution statements (- the complete official statement month by month, with full name and address – NO P.O. Box), showing at least $20,200 US dollars at the end of each month. Economic Dependent (immediate family members): If the person also applies for the visa, the minimum income required will be the equivalent of 25% additional per month for each member. The income required may consist of rents, pensions or income from interest or cash deposits in banking institutions, which can be proved with bank statements or a letter from a bank or government office from where the applicant receives his income, informing the monthly amount that he receives. Note: If the documents are from outside of the United States, you must present the original apostilled or legalized and translated into Spanish by an official translator) original and one copy.

8. Application processing fee $36.00 US dollars. We only accept cash and Money Order. Please note that in case of refusal of visa, the payment is not refundable. We recommend that before submitting your application, you verify your documentation is complete.


 Be advised that the time and process to obtain a Mexican visa may vary (one to ten days). The Consulate does not guarantee the issuance of the visa, and its expedition the same day you come. If you are coming to San Diego for the sole purpose of obtaining the Mexican visa, we encourage you to plan a minimum stay of one to three days.

We recommend that you do not purchase your travel tickets until the proper visa is obtained. The Mexican visa gives you the possibility of travelling to the country. The entry into Mexican territory depends on Mexican immigration authorities at the port of entry.

Once you have all the required documentation, please, book an appointment at http://visa-appt.consulmexsd.org (appointment per   person).

The day of your appointment, your documents will be reviewed and in some cases, we may request additional documentation that can vary   depending on the applicant’s personal situation. Once the documents are approved, you will be scheduled for the interview and to get your   passport  stamped with your Mexican visa. 

For your convenience, if you do not speak English and/or Spanish you must be accompanied by an interpreter.