Temporary Resident Visa

(Retired Income Holder “Rentista”)


If you are retired and you are going to live temporary without any income in Mexico, you must apply for a visa as a “Temporary Resident”.



 1.                 Application for Mexican Visa https://consulmex2.sre.gob.mx/sandiego/images/PDFs/Solicitudes/Visa-Ingles.pdf

2.                  Valid Passport (book passport - original and one copy, you must have copy from the first, last and all pages in which you have visas or stamps).

3.                  If you are not a United States citizen, you must present a US alien permanent resident card (green card) or a U.S. valid visa, (original and copy).

4.                  One passport size picture front view white background (without glasses).

5.                  Original Letter typed addressed to the Consulate General of Mexico specifying the purpose of your entry in Mexico. The letter should include your request to have Temporary Resident Visa, date of travel and port of entry, address in Mexico. (original)

6.                  Documents proving your economic solvency. Last six bank statements (the complete statement month by month) which reflect direct deposit from SSA or a monthly income with a minimum average balance of $1,200.00 us dollars at the end of the month.

If you have Investments, you can present the last twelve months statements (the complete statement month by month)of the financial institution, showing $20,000.00 us dollars as an average balance at the end of the month. Economic Dependent (immediate family members): If the person also applies for the visa, the minimum income required will be the equivalent of 25% additional per month for each member. The income required may consist of rents, pensions or income from interest or cash deposits in banking institutions, which can be proved with bank statements or a letter from a bank or government office from where the applicant receives his income, informing the monthly amount that he receives.

Note: If the documents are from outside of the United States, you must present the original apostilled or legalized and translated into Spanish by an official translator) original and one copy.

7.                  If the case of an economic dependent, the applicant must present the marriage certificate (if marriage took place outside the United States, you must present an original apostilled or legalized and translated into Spanish by an official translator. (original and one copy)

8.                  Pay $36.00 US dollars. For security reasons we don’t accept 100 dollar bills. (We accept cash, Money Order, Master Card, Visa or Discover).


Take into consideration that your visit to the Consulate does not guarantee the issuance of the visa and that the expedition of the same is subject to the result of the consular interview. It is recommended that airplane tickets are not purchased until you obtain your visa. The Mexican visa gives you the possibility of travelling to the country. The entry into the national territory will depend on Mexican immigration authorities at the port of entry.


Once you have all the requirements, you must book an appointment at http://visa-appt.consulmexsd.org (appointment per person).  In some cases, we may request additional documentation.


The day of your appointment, your documents will be revised. If approved, you will be given a second appointment for the interview where you will get your Passport stamped with your new visa. It’s important to mention that if you do not speak English and/or Spanish, you must be accompanied by interpreter.