Family Unit Visa
If you are going to live in Mexico under the modality of Family Unit, you must apply for a visa as a “Family Unit Temporary Resident”.
1. Fill out the Application Download
2. Valid Passport (book passport - original and one copy, you must have copy from the first, last and all pages in which you have visas or stamps).
3. If you are not a United States citizen, you must present a US alien permanent resident card (green card) or a U.S. valid visa multiple entries (original and copy).
4. One passport size picture front view white background (recent without glasses).
5. Documentary proof of the spouse Mexican nationality; if the son or daughter is Mexican they must present (birth certificate and mexican valid passport), in original and a copy. The Mexican spouse or child must be present on the day of the appointment.
6. Marriage certificate, constancy of concubinage or equivalent certificate issued by a competent authority in original and copy.
7. Valid Temporary resident Card or Permanent Resident Card in original and copy if the marriage is with a foreign citizen.
8. Original and a photocopy of financial records (last twelve months of bank statements - the complete official statement month by month, with full name and address – NO P.O. Box) which reflect monthly income and salary with minimum balance of $500.00 us dollars at the end of the month; and or the original and copy of the documents demonstrating proof of employment or pension with a monthly income free of deductions greater than 500.00 us dollars, during the last six months.
9. Original letterhead sheet in original from the Educational Institution stating the foreign citizen is a Temporary Resident Student and is continuing with the studies; In case that the applicant is married to a foreign citizen with a Temporary Resident Student.
Note: If the documents are from outside of the United States, you must present the original apostatized or legalized and translated into Spanish by an official translator) original and one copy.
10. Application processing fee $36.00 US dollars. We only accept cash and Money Order. Please note that in case of refusal of visa, the payment is not refundable. We recommend that before submitting your application, you verify your documentation is complete.
Be advised that the time and process to obtain a Mexican visa may vary (one to ten days). The Consulate does not guarantee the issuance of the visa, and its expedition the same day you come. If you are coming to San Diego for the sole purpose of obtaining the Mexican visa, we encourage you to plan a minimum stay of one to three business days.
We recommend that you do not purchase your travel tickets until the proper visa is obtained.
The Mexican visa gives you the possibility of travelling to the country. The entry into Mexican territory depends on Mexican immigration authorities at the port of entry.
On the day of your scheduled appointment, you will present yourself to the Mexican Consulate with your previously approved documents in original and the correspondent copies of said documents to conclude the application process and subsequent interview to obtain your Mexican Visa. Note: additional paperwork may be asked in certain instances.
For your convenience, if you do not speak English and/or Spanish you must be accompanied by an interpreter.