Welcome to the Visas Department of the Consulate General of Mexico in San José, California
The Mexican Immigration Law changed and went into effect on November 9th, 2012. The Law modifies the visa requirements and its process.
1. All USA Citizens are required to present USA Passport when entering Mexico (traveling by air, land or sea) at the point of entry.
2. Tourism incentives (visiting Mexico for unpaid activities and for a stay of less than 180 days) :
- USA Permanent Residents traveling by air, land or sea to Mexico are required to present a valid Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) and a valid and not expired passport or travel document.
- Other nationalities, Non-USA Permanent Residents. All those foreign nationals, regardless of their nationality won't need a Mexican visa as long as they are holders of a valid and not expired USA visa in the passport.
3. If the USA visa stamped in your passport is already expired but you have an official document or form proving your legal status in USA, you should apply for a Mexican visa at this Consulate (I-797 A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20 OR DS-2019 Forms won’t be good enough for entering to Mexico without a Mexican visa).
4. Visas (Types of visas and requirements).
5. Diplomatic and Official visas.
6. Taking pets to Mexico (http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=2&id=623)