Legalization of documents

As of June 16, 2015, the legalization of school transcripts of grades and/or diplomas issued by Canadian institutions of primary, middle, and high school levels is no longer required for revalidation purposes in Mexico.

Note: School transcripts of grades and/or diplomas from post-secondary institutions still require legalization for revalidation in Mexico.


Since Canada is not a  Country member of the Hague Apostille Convention, all official Canadian documents must be LEGALIZED in order to be officially accepted and have full validity in Mexico.

The Consulate General of Mexico in Toronto legalizes documents issued in Ontario or Manitoba. For documents issued in other Canadian provinces, please contact the Mexican Consulates in Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary or the Embassy of Mexico in Ottawa. For documents issued in other countries, please contact the Mexican Consulate or Embassy nearest to the place where the document was issued.

In order to be legalized, a document must be previously authenticated (certified) by the Canadian authorities.

For documents issued in Ontario or Manitoba consisting of: powers of attorney, school grades, diplomas, school transcripts, certificates of birth or marriage,  degrees/certificates of divorce, notarized business papers, affidavits made before a public notary, etc. please contact:

125 Sussex Dr.
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2
PHONE (613) 944-4000

The following documents issued in Ontario: powers of attorney, notarized affidavits and certificates from the Office of the Registrar, may also be authenticated by:

222 Jarvis Street, Main Floor
Toronto, ON, M7A 0B6
Phone: (416) 325-8416; fax: (416) 325-8434

In Manitoba, the authentication of notarized documents, may be done by:

1034-405 Broadway
Winnipeg, MB R3C 3L6 
Phone (204) 945-2654; fax (204) 945-0430


Since the purpose of the legalization consists in proving the authenticity of a document, it is suggested to have the originals legalized.

Requests for legalizations can be taken by mail.

  • You must send the authenticated documents by courier or registered mail
  • The document (s) to be legalized, have to be previously authenticated.
  • The interested party is responsible for obtaining this stamp. Documents received by this Consulate General without the authentication stamp will be returned to the interested party WITHOUT the corresponding legalization.
  • A letter requesting the legalization of your document (s), including your contact information: full address, telephone number and email.
  • Payment of legalization fees in the form of a Money Order made out to Consulate General of Mexico in Canadian dollars.
  • Legalization is paid per document; for reference, count the number of stamps.
  • A prepaid envelope for the return of your documents.
  • Also take into consideration that the consular fees are adjusted at the beginning of the every month. Therefore, please make sure to send the payment with enough anticipation, so that the money order is received at the Consulate when the fee you paid still applies.

Cost: Please check the list of consular fees.

It is not possible to legalize Canadian documents received by courier from abroad (outside Canada).

Translations are not required by the Consulate; but we suggest that you check with the offices or institutions in Mexico where you are going to use your documents, to find out about this or any other requirement that you may need to comply with.