I want to live permanently in Mexico as a retiree or through family union. What visa do I need?
Foreigners who wish to remain in Mexico indefinitely may apply in person for a Permanent Resident Visa at the Consular Office closest to their place of residence.
Please make an appointment at the Consulate at the email and bring the following documents:
1. Visa application printed on one page, double sided properly completed and signed.
2. Passport or valid travel and identity document, original and a photocopy of the page containing the photograph and personal data.
3. Original and a photocopy of the migratory document accrediting the legal stay in Canada (only for applicants who are not Canadian citizens).
4. One photograph measuring 3.9 cm x 3.1 cm, face uncovered, no eyeglasses, frontal view, in colour and with white background.
5. Payment of fees in cash for the issuance of the visa.
Applicants must also present the following documents, depending on the category under which they are applying:
A. If you are the retiree:
- Original and a photocopy of proof of investment or bank accounts with an average monthly balance equivalent to $148,886 CAD during the last twelve months, or
- Original and a photocopy of proof of monthly income from pensions in the amount of $3,722.15 CAD during the past six months.
B. If you apply by family unity:
If the family member is a Mexican national
- Original and a photocopy of the official document proving family ties with the Mexican citizen.
- Original and copy of proof of Mexican nationality of the person you are related to.
If the family member is a foreigner with permanent residence status:
Original and a photocopy of the official document proving family ties with the foreigner with permanent status.
Original and copy of proof of the foreigner’s migratory status as a permanent resident in Mexico, and
Proof of economic solvency for the living expenses of each of the family members with
ü Original and a photocopy of investments or bank accounts proving a minimum monthly income of $744.43 CAD during the past twelve months, or
ü Original and copy of proof of employment or pension plan with minimum monthly income of $744.43 CAD for the last six months.
If you require additional information, please send an email to the visa department at
- Family unity applications can only be accepted at a Consular Office if the foreigner with the permanent resident in Mexico or the Mexican citizen accompanies the family member at the time the application is submitted.
- This category only applies to foreigners who are the children; parents; children of the spouse or common-law partner; or siblings of a Mexican citizen or foreigner with permanent residence in Mexico.
- Foreigners who are spouses or cohabitants of a permanent resident can only be documented as temporary residents.
- Foreign public documents to be submitted to the INM, in order to be valid in Mexico, with the exception of the passport or identity and travel documents, must be apostilled or legalized by the corresponding office.
- Documents written in other languages must be accompanied by a translation into Spanish.
- The documents must be legible.