Temporary Resident Student Visa
According to Mexican Immigration Law which came into force on 9 November 2012, British nationals wishing to study in Mexico for less than six months are exempt of student visa: Simply they must fill in a FMM migration form (landing card) obtained on the airplane or at the port of entry in Mexico and declare the purpose of their visit.
The immigration officer will stamp the FMM card upon arrival. PLEASE KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE AND DO NOT LOSE IT. YOU WILL BE ASKED FOR THIS DOCUMENT AT YOUR DEPARTURE FROM MEXICO.
British nationals wishing to study in Mexico for more than six months, the Institution must request the Consulate to issue a “Temporary Resident Student Visa” (Residente Temporal Estudiante). This is a single entry Visa and will allow the applicants to enter to the country to exchange it for a Temporary Resident Student Card within 30 days upon their arrival at the nearest migration office (INM). The temporary resident student card will be valid for one year and multiple entries.
Requirements for a Temporary Resident Student Visa (Residente Temporal Estudiante):
1. Applicants are required to apply for a visa in person through a pre-arranged interview appointment (click here)
2. Valid passport and photocopy of the pages where the personal details and holder's photograph are found.
3. Visa application it is recommended to fill in the application in Microsoft Word.
4. One UK size passport photograph (it must be in colour, with the face clearly visible without glasses, white background and be taken within the last month).
5. Payment of consular fees (Visa) made in cash, postal orders or company’s cheque, payable to the Mexican Consulate.
6. The original document of the confirmation letter of an Institution that belongs to the National Educational System, in which is stated the applicant is due to start his/her studies and it must specifies:
6. The applicant must prove that he or she has enough funds (maintenance) to cover the fees of the studies, housing and all his/her needs during the length of time of stay in National Territory with the following:
a) The original document and a copy of investments or bank accounts with a monthly average statement equivalent to twenty thousand days of minimum general wage in force at the Federal District for the last twelve months $1,246,600.00 MXN (approx. €74,000.00 / USD $94,285.00) or:
b) The original documents in which is stated that the applicant has a steady employment, a monthly pension or scholarship free of greater obligations equivalent to a hundred and fifty days of minimum general wage in force at the Federal District for the last six months $9600.00 (approx.. £511.00 / USD $771.00).
The maintenance (funds) can be proved by the applicant or by his/her parents with an original letter from sponsor (parents or guardian) indicating full financial support during the period of study (minimum of £511.00 / USD $771.00), only and if the applicant is younger than 25 years old or with a letter of the educational institution stating that he or she has been awarded with a scholarship. In case of sponsors (parents or guardian), their last six month bank statements with a copy of their passports.
Processing time: Two working days after handing in the aforementioned documentation, in a complete and satisfactory manner.
- In order to obtain the Temporary Resident Student card, applicants must refer to the nearest migration office (INM) within 30 days upon their arrival. The temporary resident student card will be valid for one year and multiple entries.
- Students cannot work or engage in any remunerative or lucrative activity.
- When the visitor has been invited by a Mexican company/Institution to perform lucrative activities, the Mexican company/institution must request the work permit at the National Migration Institute in Mexico www.inm.gob.mx