The requirements to get married in Mexico can be different in each of the 31 States and the Federal District, as each entity has its own General Civil Registry Office. Therefore you are advised to contact directly the office where you are planning to get married to obtain information about the process and requirements.Getting married in Mexico.

Foreign nationals wishing to get married in Mexico, please take note that the Registry Office can request the submission of the following documents:

  1. Valid passport.

  2. Valid Mexican entry documents (visas, migratory form, etc.).

  3. Birth certificates.*

  4. Pre-nuptial Agreement where, the parties must specify whether they wish to get married under the system of Joint Ownership Property (sociedad conyugal) or under a Non-joint Ownership Property (separación de bienes).

  5. If one or both parties is divorced or widowed, submit the appropriate certificate (e.g.. death certificate or absolute decree).*

  6. Pre-nuptial medical certificate (must be obtained in Mexico).

  7. If one or both parties are under 18, they must submit original parental permission granted by the parents or guardians or emancipation document, duly legalized.

  8. In some States (e.g. Quintana Roo: Riviera Maya, Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Chetumal) Four witnesses with official identification.

  9. In some States you’ll need to provide a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI)*, you can obtain a CNI from your local register office.


*All foreign documents listed above must be apostilled or legalised in their country of origin and translated into Spanish by an official translator in Mexico. You should contact your Embassy or Consulate in Mexico who should be able to provide a list of official translators. Click here.



After the marriage, while in Mexico, it is advisable to obtain enough certified copies of the marriage certificate and apostille them. The Mexican Embassy is unable to request documents on your behalf.



You cannot register an overseas marriage in the UK, but it will usually be recognised if it’s valid in Mexico.

This information is provided as a service to the public. Therefore you are advised to contact the relevant authorities (Civil Registry Office and FCO).