- I am Canadian and I have a criminal record; can I travel to Mexico?
Immigration authorities may decide to refuse your request to enter the country if you are subject to an outstanding criminal charge (facing charges) or have been convicted of a serious crime as defined by national laws on criminal matters or provisions in international treaties or conventions that the Mexican State is party to. You may also be refused entry if your previous criminal history in Mexico or abroad could compromise national or public security, per Article 43 of the Migration Law.

According to Article 194 of the Federal Code on Criminal Proceedings, serious crimes include all crimes that have a significant, negative effect on the fundamental values of society.

Serious crimes include, among others: manslaughter; terrorism; sabotage; piracy; genocide; prison escapement; assaults on public communication channels; drug-related crimes; corruption of minors; child pornography; exploitation of minors; falsification and counterfeiting of currency; rape; highway and road robbery; trafficking of minors; trafficking of undocumented persons; aggravated robbery; vehicular theft; extortion; crimes against the environment committed with intent; forced disappearance of persons; bearing arms reserved for the exclusive use of the Army, Navy or Air Force; smuggling into the country firearms not reserved for the exclusive use of the Army, Navy or Air Force; smuggling into the country firearms and/or illicit substances; tax fraud and comparable crimes.

- How do I get a work visa for Mexico?
In all cases, authorization to perform lucrative activities in Mexico can only be granted by the INM (National Migration Institute) if there is an existing job offer. The company in Mexico planning to hire a foreigner must apply for authorization from the INM for the issuance of a Visa with Permission to Conduct Remunerated Activities. Once the application has been approved, the foreigner must contact the Embassy or Consulate to set up an appointment. There is no visa that allows a person to travel to Mexico for job-seeking purposes.

- Can I take my pet to Mexico in the passenger cabin of the aircraft? 
As of June 1, 2012, Mexican regulations (Circular CO AV-07.8/07 R2) allow airlines to transport service animals and pets in the passenger cabin, as long as the animal in question does not pose a risk to the health and safety of the passengers and crew, and provided it complies with the airline’s policies and procedures in this regard. Please consult your airline to see if your animal meets the specific requirements. For further information on Mexican regulations, consult the section "Taking pets to Mexico".

- My child is traveling alone or with only one parent. What does he/she need to travel to Mexico?
On December 2nd, 2013, a new guideline was published reforming the provisions of the Migratory Law’s Regulations on travel by minors under the age of 18. The new guideline will take effect as of January 24th, 2014.

Foreign minors (under 18 years of age) travelling to Mexico alone or with a third party of legal age (grandparent, aunt/uncle, etc.) as visitors (tourists or with a short stay for study purposes up to 180 days), DO NOT REQUIRE authorization or a letter of consent from their parents or guardians. Mexican migratory authorities will allow these minors to leave Mexico at the end of their stay upon presentation of a valid passport.

The Canadian government’s requirements for minors departing or entering Canada can be consulted at the following webpage: http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children

The following categories however, DO REQUIRE proper authorization or a letter of consent from their parents or legal guardians, if they are a minor (under 18 years of age) and are traveling alone or with a third party of legal age (grandparent, aunt/uncle, etc.): Mexican nationals residing in Mexico; Mexican nationals residing abroad; Mexican nationals with double nationality; Foreigners with temporary residence, permanent residence or temporary-student status (more than 180 days) in Mexico.


When departing from Mexico, at the Immigration screening of INAMI (Mexican Migratory Authority), apart from presenting a valid passport of the minor, it must display the authorization form issued by INAMI (a form free of charge), through which both parents or legal guardians give authorization of the departure of the minor from Mexico or you must present an authorization/consent letter granted by a notary public.If presenting the form authorized by INAMI, you must fill the form online at the following website: www.inami.gob.mx

Three copies of this form must be printed and signed and each copy must have attached the following documentation:

  • Copy of the passport or travel document of the minor traveling.
  • Copies of the passports of the parents or legal guardians whom give the permit.
  • Copy of the birth certificate of the minor.
  • Copy of the passport of the third party of legal age that will be travelling with the minor (if applicable).

Minors who are travelling with at least one parent DO NOT require this authorization.If opting for the authorization/consent letter granted by a notary public in Canada, it must be translated into Spanish, authenticated by the Canadian government and legalized by the Mexican Consulate in your circumscription or the Mexican Embassy in Ottawa. For information on the procedure and requirements for legalizing a document, please visit the following link: legalizations

Mexican consular offices do not provide translation services.

The requirements established by the Canadian government for minors to enter and depart from Canada, should be consulted at the following webpage:

- Can I bring my prescription medicine or blood pressure/blood glucose monitor into Mexico?
Devices for measuring blood pressure or blood glucose may be brought into Mexico, as well as medications for personal use; psychotropic drugs should be accompanied by their medical prescription.

- What articles can I bring into Mexico as part of my luggage? 
Please consult the following link of the Mexican Customs Office:

- Can I renew my temporary resident card at any Mexican consular office in Canada?
Beginning August 1, 2010, Consular Offices of Mexico are no longer entitled to renew temporary resident cards.

- I need to get a Canadian visa for my Mexican fiancé (e), what can I do? 

Canadian visas fall exclusively within the competence of Canadian authorities. We suggest that you visit the following pages for requirements and procedures:



- Where can I exchange Mexican pesos for Canadian dollars? 
You can exchange Mexican pesos at any Foreign Exchange Office.

- Is there any restriction for travel to Mexico with US or Canadian dollars? 
In order to regulate the quantity of dollars entering the Mexican banking system, beginning September 14, 2010 the Mexican government will limit the amount of US dollars foreigners can exchange for pesos in Banks and Currency Exchange Establishments to no more than US$1,500 per individual per month.

Non-American currencies (such as Euros or Canadian dollars) are not affected in any way by this regulation.

The measure WILL NOT AFFECT purchases made with credit cards or debit cards in Mexico.

The measure WILL NOT AFFECT the amount of cash (in Mexican pesos) an international tourist can withdraw from an ATM machine on a daily or monthly basis.

All travelers are advised to bring Mexican pesos as well as their credit and/or debit cards to minimize any inconvenience the exchange cap at banks may cause.

- Is it acceptable to travel to Mexico with an Affidavit? 
No, all Canadian nationals require a valid passport to enter Mexico.

- Do I need any vaccines prior to my trip to Mexico? 
No, but you can consult your family doctor if you have concerns.

- How long must my Canadian passport be valid for travel to Mexico?
Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of passports; nevertheless, this document must be valid at the time of entry and during the period you wish to be in Mexico.

- I am a Canadian citizen. Do I need a passport and visa to travel to Mexico? 
Canadian citizens do not need a visa to travel to Mexico, but they do require a valid Canadian passport and "Multiple Migratory Form" (issued to tourists, transmigrants, visitors, businesspeople, and advisors), known as an FMM. This form may be obtained during direct flights to Mexico or at the Mexican port of entry by presenting a valid passport.

- I am a temporary resident in Canada and I have a valid multiple-entry visa to the United States. Do I need a visa to visit Mexico? 
All foreign visitors, regardless of nationality, traveling to Mexico for tourism or business reasons or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by the government of the United States of America.

- I am a Permanent Resident in Canada. Do I need a visa to visit Mexico as tourist? 
Foreign visitors who, regardless of their nationality, have a valid permanent resident card from Canada do not require a Mexican visa.
You must present your Permanent Resident Card and one of the following documents: valid Passport or Refugee Travel Document.