African swine fever


Caution must be exercised when bringing animals, plants, and their products and sub-products into Mexico, as they can be transmitters of plagues and diseases. If you are bringing forest, flora or fauna products or sub-products, declare them.

For more information, about importing to Mexico products of animal or vegetable origin, as a tourist, please visit the following website




African swine fever (ASF) is a highly contagious disease of domestic and wild pigs. It is not a danger to human health but it is devastating for farming economy.  There is no vaccine against it.

Before your trip, please check animal or vegetable origin products restriction on the following website. 

Taking pets to Mexico

To import pets into Mexico, you must meet the requirements of the National Department of Health, Food Safety and Food Quality, SENASICA. The pet will be screened at the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Offices (OISA) located at international airports, border crossings and international seaports.

The requirements are listed on the following websites:

For more information about the animal health inspection service, please email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Avenida Municipio Libre 377
Col. Santa Cruz Atoyac
Benito Juárez C.P. 03310
Mexico City, Federal District
Phone (from Canada): 011 52 55 5905-1000 ext. 50911

By airplane (in cabin with passenger)
On June 1, 2012, the Official Gazette published a revision to Mandatory Bulletin No. CO AV-07.8/07 R2, stating the security conditions airlines must comply with to allow service animals and pets in the passenger cabins of aircrafts.

Those pets traveling with passengers need to fulfill the requirements included in part 4 of the above mentioned bulletin and those policies and regulations issued by the airline carrier. The final decision as to whether the pet is allowed to travel in the cabin with the passenger will be taken by the airline carrier and not by the Mexican Civil Aeronautic Authority.

Part 4 of the Bulletin No. CO AV-07.8/07 R2 states:

4. Transporting animals on passenger aircrafts

4.1. Animals must be transported in cages or appropriate containers, which must be located in the pressurized, acclimatized baggage compartments. The pilot in command must be informed that live animals are being transported and told which baggage compartment they are located in.

4.2. If the aircraft does not have pressurized, acclimatized baggage compartments, animals may be transported in a cabin adjacent to the passenger cabin, but separated by a wall, provided the remaining guidelines in this Circular are adhered to.

4.3 Guide dogs, service animals and pets.

Regardless of the stipulations of this Mandatory Circular, guide dogs, seeing-eye dogs, other service animals and pets may be transported in the passenger cabin if the following requirements are met:

4.3.1. The guide dog or seeing-eye dog has been trained and the person with the disability has been instructed in the care and handling of the dog. Under these considerations, the dog must remain at the side of its owner during the flight. The disabled person should be seated in the first row, preferably in the window seat, in a section next to the cabin’s dividing wall.

4.3.2. During the boarding of disabled persons assisted by a guide dog or seeing-eye dog, the flight attendants should lead the passenger to the location of his/her seat, so that the passenger may give instructions to the animal.

4.3.3. Service animals and pets may be allowed in the passenger cabin in accordance with the licensee’s or authorized agent’s policies and procedures, which have been approved by the Aviation Authority, provided that the animals are not ones that pose a risk to the health and security of the passengers or crew, such as snakes and other reptiles, rodents, spiders, or ferrets, among others, or animals such as pigs or monkeys that may not be allowed in the passenger cabin due to their size, dimensions, or the health restrictions of the competent national authorities or the States in which the airline operates.

4.3.4. The same requirements listed in numeral 4.3.1 of this Mandatory Circular apply to service animals and pets."

Mexicans and foreigners who wish to visit Mexico by car, and enter beyond the border strip, must pass through screening by Customs and the National Migration Institute. Mexico’s border strip along the border with the United States, Guatemala and Belize extends 21 kilometres inside Mexican territory. It includes the entire territory of the states of Baja California and Quintana Roo.

Foreigners who enter Mexico by land must meet the migratory requirements and comply with the migratory formalities that correspond to the category under which they are requesting entrance (visitors, temporary residents or permanent residents). Admission is subject to approval by the migratory authorities at the point of entry.

Foreigners who travel by car to Mexico must pay the fee for ‘visitor without permission to conduct remunerative activities’ at a cost of $20 USD or 295.00 Mexican pesos, and must comply with customs procedures.

As they pass through customs foreigners may use the lane for “nothing to declare” if the goods they are carrying do not exceed their personal luggage allowance. However, if travelling with additional items whose value exceeds $75.00 USD, foreigners must pass through the “self-declaration” lane.


In order to bring a foreign vehicle into Mexico, it is necessary to obtain a temporary import permit. The validity of this permit will correspond to the foreigner’s authorized length of stay, and can be processed:

  1. By internet at the Banjército website from 60 to 7 days prior to entering Mexican territory.
  2. Directly at the border module.

Requirements for a foreigner to obtain a permit directly at the border are as follows:

  • Original and a photocopy of the passport
  • Original and a photocopy of the driver’s licence issued outside Mexico
  • Document issued by the migratory authorities proving that the foreigner holds a migratory category acceptable for conducting the procedure.
  • Original and a photocopy of the bill of sale, deed to property or vehicle registration issued by a foreign authority in the applicant’s name
  • In the case of leased automobiles, the leasing contract and authorization from the leasing company to import the vehicle.
  • If the vehicle has not been completely paid for, the credit contract or invoice dated within the past 3 months, in the name of the applicant.
  • When the vehicle belongs to a corporation, a document attesting to the labour relationship with the applicant and authorization for the applicant to conduct the import process.
  • Where applicable, proof of the return of previously imported vehicles.
  • Sign a declaration under oath, in which the foreigner pledges to return the vehicle within the authorized period and not commit acts or omissions that constitute infractions or offences resulting from improper use or purpose of the vehicle.
  • Pay the equivalent of $44.00 USD + IVA (tax) for the procedure. This fee may be paid in cash or by credit card issued outside Mexico, in the name of the importer.
  • Pay a deposit to guarantee the fiscal credits that could be incurred by failure to return the vehicle or by committing an infraction as defined by the applicable laws. The amount of the deposit corresponds to the model year of the automobile:
  • 2007 and later models $400.00 USD
  • 2001 to 2006 $300.00 USD
  • 2000 and earlier $200.00 USD


A temporarily imported vehicle cannot be sold in Mexico, and must invariably be removed once again from Mexican territory. This return is carried out by presenting the vehicle to Banjército personnel operating the CIITEV modules at exit customs points to obtain the return receipt, which must be kept.

Should the foreigner fail to follow the above return procedure, the vehicle must be presented at the border module to cancel the import permit.

If the vehicle return is not processed within the authorized period, the deposit will be cashed and the amount transferred to the Federal Treasury by the second banking day following the date of expiration of the temporary import permit, at the latest.

If the import permit is expired and the vehicle continues to circulate within Mexico, it may be impounded and the owner or driver fined.

Temporary import permits cannot be returned from abroad through Mexican Consulates.

Foreigners with a vehicle that has yet to be returned may not apply for a new import permit.


Acquisition of Real Estate by Foreigners in Mexico

Article 27 of the Mexican Constitution states that only Mexicans by birth or naturalization or Mexican corporations can acquire the title to lands and their exploitation in Mexican territory. Nevertheless, the Mexican State may grant this right to foreigners who wish to acquire real estate in Mexico through an agreement in which they renounce the possibility of invoking the protection of their Government in regard to the acquired property.

If the land is within the so-called “restricted zone,” the strip of land 100-km wide along land borders or 50-km wide along coastlines, such property may only be acquired through a bank trusteeship. In this trusteeship, the banking institution holds the deed to the property but it is the foreigner who holds the rights over the land for a maximum period of 50 years.

To obtain prior permission from the Mexican government, applicants must appear in person at the Legal Affairs Directorate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Mexico, or send a legal representative authorized through a Power of Attorney.

1. To acquire real estate outside of the restricted zone:

a) Present the application (attach application) filled out on a typewriter or computer, indicating the applicant’s full name, nationality, migratory status, migratory document number, address for receiving legal service, individuals authorized to receive the certificate and the permit of acquisition, as well as the description and location of the property. The application must contain the applicant’s signature.

b) Specify the form of acquisition and the percentage regarding the acquisition.

c) Prove the migratory status of the interested party.

d) Enclose with the application a document stating the property’s surface area, measurements, boundaries and adjoining lands, with the signature of the applicant or his/her legal representative.

e) If the application is presented through a legal representative, the following form must be completed (attach form) and accompanied by a Special Power of Attorney, giving the bearer the power to sign the waiver agreement referred to in paragraph I of Constitutional Article 27, or a general Power of Attorney for acts of ownership that meets the requirements set forth in the third paragraph of Article 2554 of the Federal Civil Code or its correlative articles in the states of the Republic.

f) In the case of foreign legal entities, their legal status must be proven by the presentation of the appropriate documentation in accordance with the legislation of the country of origin, duly legalized or apostilled (depending on the country) and translated into Spanish by an Official Translator (perito traductor)

g) The application with its enclosures must be presented in the original and two copies.

To acquire property inside the restricted zone, the intermediary services of a credit institution are necessary; this institution will act as trustee and process the corresponding permit with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

According to Mexican Law, the Officer in charge of a Consular Office may act as a Notary Public, certifying the legal acts executed before him, such as Powers of Attorney and Wills. The Mexican Officer is fully authorized to make those legal acts effective in Mexico. The Consul will also explain the provisions of the documents granted.

This act does not need to be translated, legalized or authenticated, as it is executed before a Mexican authority in accordance with Mexican law and in Spanish.

Powers of Attorney

a) General Power

This document applies to an indefinite series of legal acts and it doesn’t expire unless it gets specifically cancelled through a “Revocation”, the grantor or guardian dies or the act it refers to is executed (for example, in the case of divorce). The different kinds of General Powers of Attorney are:

  • General Power for lawsuits and collections. To represent the grantor in legal processes and collections.
  • Power of attorney for acts of administration. To manage assets and interests.
  • General Power for acts of ownership. In order to buy, mortgage, donate or sell assets property of the grantor.
  • General Power for lawsuits and collections, administrative acts and acts of ownership. To perform all previous activities.

b) Special Power

This document is drafted to be applied in one or more specific issued determined by the grantor and expires once the matter or matters it was provided for are concluded.

This type of power provides the greatest level of security to the grantor, since the grantee can not intervene in matters other than those specifically outlined in the document.

The applicant must provide the following:

  1. Proof of citizenship (valid passport, original birth certificate or original certificate of naturalization).
  2. Official photo identification card (driver's license, provincial identification, landed immigrant certificate, etc.).
  3. The information of the agent to be granted power of attorney (first, middle and last name and place of residence).
  4. Information regarding the objective of the power of attorney requested (incorporating a company, selling property, defense of interest before Mexican courts, etc.).
  5. In the case of non-Spanish speakers, it is necessary to be assisted by an interpreter. An official one is recommended. This person needs to present his/her photo identification.
  6. Demonstrate your marital status, whether marriage or death certificate of spouse, as applicable.
  7. Consular fee. Must be paid, in Canadian funds in cash, money order or certified check.


When a married person under the marital property regime wants to grant a general or special power including acts of ownership, his/her spouse must grant the power of attorney as well. If this is not possible, the power of attorney won’t have legal effects until the other spouse gives proper authorization.

On behalf of a Company or Corporation

A corporation executing a Power of Attorney before the Embassy or Consulate of Mexico, acting as a Notary Public should submit:

  1. Original or certified true copy of the Certificate of Incorporation or equivalent, issued by the corresponding Province. If the company is registered outside our jurisdiction, the Embassy or Consulate of Mexico within such jurisdiction should legalize such document.
  2. Original or certified copy of the Articles of Incorporation stating the main activities of the company, if not stated in the Certificate of Incorporation.
  3. Original or certified copy of Certificate of Good Standing issued by the province where the company has its business.
  4. Copy of its By-Laws indicating its objectives, authority of members of the board, including granting powers of attorney, how often elected, etc., certified by the Secretariat of the board, under the corporation seal.
  5. Copy of minutes of last meeting of stockholders or of the board, where members were elected , certified by the secretary of the board, under the corporation seal.
  6. Copy of the resolution of the board to appoint its representative to execute, on it s behalf, a power of attorney, mentioning the terms and limitations, certified by the secretary of the board, under the corporation seal.

All documents must be translated into Spanish by an official translator.

The documents mentioned in 4, 5, and 6 should be certified before a notary public. All documents must be legalized by the Embassy or Consulate of Mexico.

The appointed officer will make arrangements to submit the above mentioned documents, as well as:

  1. Fill out the application form clearly.
  2. Draft of the Power of Attorney to be executed.
  3. Identification (valid passport or birth certificate with an ID.) of the person acting on behalf of the company.
  4. Consular fee Must be paid, in Canadian funds in cash, money order or certified check.

In the case of a foreign legal entity (Canadian), you must submit the original documents listed in the following links, local public notarized and translated into Spanish by a licensed translator, according to where it is established the Canadian company: