Libros de texto gratuitos en Español
Spanish Classes London


Principales servicios

Horario de atención al público:

Lunes a Viernes de 9:00 - 13:00 horas




If you are not Mexican and have no other valid migratory form in Mexico (e.g., temporary or permanent residency), in order to enter the country you need to have a tourist/business visitor/visitor in transit migratory form (FMM). In accordance with international immigration treaties between Mexico and other countries, the procedure to obtain the FMM varies with the nationality of each visitor. This form can be obtained for each person at the first port of entry, the Mexican borders or Mexican consulates and embassies.

You are advised to request migratory and visa requirements information at any of the Mexican Embassies or Consulates far enough in advance before planning your travel, as additional to the FMM you might need a visa to enter Mexico and in some cases its processing time can take up to 30 working days. Although your travel agency can inform you about visa application procedures and resolution times, you are recommended to confirm them with the Mexican Embassy or Consulate nearest to your domicile.

When you enter and leave Mexico, make sure that your migratory form is stamped and authorized by the migratory authority. If you decide to prolong your stay for a period longer than that granted by your permit (FMM), before expiring it you must request its extension before the migratory authorities. Including extensions, the FMM maximum period validity is six months as tourist and business visitor, and 30 days as visitor in transit. Extensions and changes of migratory status are possible provided that these procedures are not stated as restrictions on the FMM.

[back to top]

The Non-Immigrant Fee

As many countries, as of 1999 Mexico charges a fee for the authorization of Non-Immigrant migratory status. The resources collected through this fee are used for the promotion of tourism in Mexico and for the assistance and improvement of migratory services. This fee is about US48.00, which is updated annually. The time and manner of paying it varies according to the mode and route you use to enter the country.

All foreigners who enter Mexico must pay this fee, except those who have immigrant or immigrated status. Passengers with connecting flights in Mexico or in transit (whose stay is less than three days), diplomats with an official or service visa, and crew members are also exempt.

[back to top]

Prohibited products

In accordance with the "Law of General Import and Export Taxes", the introduction of the following products into the country is prohibited:

  • Firearms, except for hunting purposes, as long as the rules indicated in.
  • Live predatory fish in their fingerling, juvenile, and adult stage.
  • Thallium Sulfate
  • Totoaba, fresh or refrigerated (fish)
  • Insecticide (Isodrin, Aldrin, Heptachloro, Drinox, Endrin, Mendrino, Nendin, Hecadrin, or Leptofos)
  • Frozen Totoaba (Fish)
  • Turtle eggs of any kind
  • Poppy seeds (Opium Poppy)
  • Imide of N-phtalilglutamic acid (Thalidomide)
  • Poppy seed flour (Opium Poppy)
  • Marijuana (Cannabis Indica) seeds and spores, even when mixed with other seeds
  • Heroin, base, or Diacetylmorophine hydrochloride
  • Marijuana (Cannabis Indica)
  • Medicinal preparations based on marijuana (Cannabis Indica)
  • Opium juices and extracts prepared for smoking
  • Medical preparations based on acetylmorphine, its salts or derivatives.
  • Extracts and juices derived from marijuana (Cannabis Indica)
  • Turtle or Green Turtle skins
  • Mucilages and thickeners derived from marijuana (Cannabis Indica)
  • Stamps printed in colours or in black and white, presented for sale in envelopes or packets, even when they include chewing gum, candy, or any other type of articles, containing drawings, figures, or illustrations that portray childhood in a denigrating or ridiculous manner, in attitudes which incite violence, self-destruction, or any other type of anti-social behaviour, know as "Garbage Pail Kids", for example, printed by any company or commercial denominations.
  • The Ministry of Agriculture prohibits the following goods since they represent a great risk for the introduction of plagues and diseases: earth, straw, padded containers of hay, straw decorations without processing; homemade foods; flours of animal origin; fresh, dry, canned or frozen meat and meat products, such as smoky, salted and mature sausages that have been elaborated in countries under absolute quarantine (Europe, Africa, Asia and South America). For additional information please visit the website

[back to top]

Bringing medicaments into Mexico for personal use only

Passengers traveling with medicines for personal use are allowed to enter the country (regardless of the active component) as long as they bring their prescription or a letter from their GP in which it must state the amount of the substance required by the patient during her or his stay in Mexico, the amount bringing into the country and the daily dose.

At the port of entry you must declare to the customs authorities and present the medical prescription or license issued by competent authority. The former must state name of the doctor authorising the prescription, his signature, contact details (telephone, address) and professional register. The medical prescription or licence must also state amount of the substance required by the patient during her or his stay in Mexico, the amount bringing into the country and the daily dose. The medicaments must not exceed of the amount required for your stay in the country. The prescription must be translated into Spanish.

Please also be aware that in order for you to export medicaments for personal use from the United Kingdom, you might need a personal export license. For more information visit their website:

[back to top]

Bringing pets into Mexico (dogs and cats)


In order to bring a pet (dogs and cats) into Mexico, the following documents must be presented at the Office of Animal Health Inspection (OISA) at international airports and ports of entry into Mexico :

  • If the pet is less than tree months, a "Certificate of Good Health" issued by an official authority or by a licensed veterinarian provided that his or her signature is approved in the United Kingdom and issued not more than five days before the animal enters Mexico
  • If the pet is older than three moths, the "Certificate of Good Health" must also states immunizations against rabies, distemper, hepatitis and leptospirosis. Any immunization must been administered at least 15 days before pet's arrival to Mexico, but not more than one year.

At the OISA your pet will be physically checked and that office will determine if the animal is allowed immediate entry or must remain in custody for an additional inspection. In the first case, it will be issued a zoo-sanitary importation certificate, which must be carry when leaving Mexico. In the second case, If the above said authorities retain the animal, they should also give you a voucher.

If your pet is coming from a country where foot-and-month disease or risk of that disease exists, it must receive a prophylactic treatment.

Nota Bene
When you intend to introduce into Mexico three or more pets or any other animal species , you must fulfil the requirements established on the Zoo-sanitary Requirements Page (Hoja de Requisitos Zoosanitarios).

Animals, plants and their products may enter Mexico depending on their country of origin and country's sanitary conditions. These procedures are to be strictly adhered to in order to prevent plagues and high risk diseases from spreading in Mexico.

Further information can be obtained on SENASICA.

[back to top]

Cases in which you must pay taxes

- If you enter by land, you are entitled to bring up to US$75 worth of goods in addition to the goods included in your personal luggage, and that you are allowed to combine this amount with family members.

- If you enter by air, you are entitled to bring up to US$300 worth of goods in addition to the goods included in your personal luggage, and that you are allowed to combine this amount with family members.

- If you exceed this exemption or if your family’s combined amount exceeds the combined exemption, but the value of the goods does not surpass three thousand dollars, there is a flat 15% rate of duties and taxes, which is applied only to the amount exceeding the exemption (individual or combined). You must fill out a payment form, which is available at the Customs counter.

- If the value of the goods surpasses three thousand dollars (per family member) after subtracting the US$75 exemption by entering by land or US$300 by entering by air, or if any of the goods is subject to non-tariff regulations or restrictions, you must hire the services of a customs broker

[back to top]


Once you find yourself in Mexican territory, you will be free to travel and circulate within or without having to fill out more migratory forms. They will only be able to request the presentation of customs declaration forms when you leave a city near a border and head for another within the same country.

Nota bene.- This information is provided as a service to the public. Therefore you are advised to verify it directly with the customs authorities by visiting the following websites:

Most of the information contained on this menu forms part of the manual of tourist entry prepared by La Secretaría de Turismo, Aduana de México, Banjercito, el Instituto Nacional de Migración, la Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes y la Secretaría de la Defensa Nacional. The manual of tourist entry can be downloaded from the website of La Secretaría de Turismo.

[back to top]